Thursday, June 9, 2011

seasons

A dear friend of mine helped me to really get a hold of the concept of seasons in our life and walk with God. As time goes by and things change, so does your walk.....and THAT'S OK!  In college, when I was single and had minimal responsibilities, I had time to pour over the scriptures and dig deep as God spoke and revealed some of the more hidden truths. That was such a sweet time! I had hours to put into memorization, and would attempt to memorize chapters at a time. I kept journals, and I read books. God really used that time to grow me in knowledge, and I'm so thankful for that - and for the mentors and friends in my life at the time who were encouraging me to do those things!

And now, I look back on those days longingly. I wish I had that kind of time and passion for the Word of God. I miss the fire that it fueled. And when I drag myself out of bed at 6:30 in the morning to the sound of screaming babies, I'll admit that at times I resent this stage. I miss popping out of bed early because I wanted to, not because little bodies were demanding me to sustain their life. Such pressure and stress!

Then one day, I was reading in Ecclesiastes and this sharp verse cut me right open:

"Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this."

Gulp. Oh! Ooops....


For two years, I've had this attitude! Jealous of all the free time I'd had to give to the Lord, that I thought made me more valuable to Him. But the Gospel tells me that I am accepted......as I am. There was nothing I could do to earn salvation, and there is nothing I can do that lets me keep it, or that even gives me more worth. I am to rest in Christ and what He has done for me, and I need to accept this time in my life as it is, living in the now.

Things are different than they were - I have a husband, a home, and two babies under three (and another one on the way)! Of course I don't have the time I once had!! But ya know what, my relationship with my mother has changed since then. She doesn't make a chores chart for me and make sure my room is picked up. I no longer ask her permission to go out to the mall with my friends on Friday night (let's face it, I don't even go to the mall on Friday night these days). We talk much more openly and about more adult things. While she is still my mother, and many things are the same about our relationship, a lot has changed. And that's ok! That's how things are supposed to go!

So why am I depressed when my walk with God has to change with the season? I should not be. I should hold on to the sweet times that I do get to have with Him, and embrace the challenge that this season of my life presents. If I treat it properly, I will come out stronger.

So, I am making some adjustments.

One thing that has worked well for me is to keep my Bible marked in the Psalms. They tend to be short, but they are so packed with encouragement! David and other psalmists are so real and honest about what they are going through, that I can really relate to how they are feeling. But they always bring it back to God - how mighty He is, how glorious He is, and how good is it do dwell with Him and follow His way! A few of my favorites include Psalm 12551, 111, and 126.

Another thing that helps is to play spiritual songs. Many days I default to leaving the tv on NickJr all morning long. While it does keep my toddlers entertained, it does nothing for my spiritual walk nor theirs. When I do put in a Shane and Shane cd (or Passion, or Third Day, or Kids Sing Hymns) it helps me to remember what matters - to focus our thoughts and attitudes on eternal things rather than earthly.

One final idea I love is incorporating scripture into the decor of my home. I think this is so helpful for me, and I know it will have an impact on my family as well as those who visit our house. Right now we are in a temporary apartment, so I don't have as much around as I'd like. But there is a verse in my boys' room that I love. Psalm 25:4-5.


This sweet picture was a gift for Elijah when he was born. A precious and godly lady at our church made it for him. I don't know how well you can tell in this picture, but the outline of the baby is Psalm 139 in calligraphy. Beautiful! And such a creative display of Scripture. You don't have to just stick to a simple design if that is not your style.



My pastor's wife displays scripture all over their home as well. It is such a blessing to visit their home and see all the scripture around to encourage and remind all those who enter what is important!

I've listed a handfull of things that have worked for me, but I am by no means perfect nor have I exhausted all the options. What has worked for you in keeping your walk with Christ strong during a time-pressed and stressful season of life??

No comments:

Post a Comment